Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Snappy New Day

All night long, I was singing, "It's such a good feeling to know you're alive./It's such a happy feeling that's growing inside/And when you wake up ready to say/I think I'll make a snappy new day/It's such a good feeling, a very good feeling, the feeling to know you're alive." I don't remember exactly how the words go.  This was a song Mr Rodgers sang on his show.  I also kept saying, "And I'll be back, in a day or two, and I'll have more ideas for you/And you'll have things you want to talk about/I will, too."  Again, I am not exactly sure what the words are, but these are close.  Having these refrains run through my mind for several sleepless hours during the middle of the night is likely connected with the fact that I watched the Mr Rodgers documentary last week. It was an interesting look at his life.  My youngest texted me a few days ago and asked if I had watched it. He said it made him cry.  He said kindness like that is something people don't show in this day and age.  Either they don't feel it or they get ridiculed for sharing it. He said it hurt him to think of how some people viewed Mr Rodgers in a negative light and ridiculed him when he was a genuine man.  To read my son's words that he cried touched my heart.  To picture him being that moved by a film about a man who set out to make the world feel a little safer and more gentle for all children allowed this mom to see the kindness inside his heart and his genuine concern for how cold and unfeeling so many people have become. He allowed himself to feel vulnerability, which is so incredibly important as Brene Brown points out in one of her books (Daring Greatly, I think).  But, I digress.  I didn't come here to write about the songs stuck in my head last night.  I came here to write down an axiom/adage/saw/old saying--whatever you call those motivational quotes or little tidbits of wisdom.  I came to say that I am going to Fitness Formula today to get a month's membership so I can start walking at their indoor track.  No one but me understands that this is my Everest today.  This is that incredibly daunting task of climbing a mountain with absolutely zero training, no natural aptitude, no real understanding of why I'm going to climb the mountain other than the fact that it is there, and I will feel a sense of accomplishment and the desire to climb more mountains when I complete this one. And, then there is the view of the world from the top. The astounding beauty of the world.  Though I do exaggerate here, the analogy is fitting.  I am terrified.  I am embarrassed for others to see my fat person walking in there. I am sure someone will be snickering and talking about "the fat woman thinks she can walk her way thin" kind of thing, but I must make a change. And, that's where that old adage comes in, and I can't remember exactly how it goes, but it's something like this: The journey of a lifetime begins with a single step. Now, I am going to look up the lyrics to the Mr Rodgers songs, type in "adage" and see what comes up and type in the adage I wrote down to see exactly what it says.  As a matter of fact, I'll do that now and add the responses I find right here before I post this.  Here I go: 

The song:

(Song)
It's such a good feeling
To know you're alive
It's such a happy feeling
You're growing inside
And when you wake up ready to say
"I'll make a snappy new day."

It's such a good feeling
A very good feeling
The feeling you know
That I'll be back when the day is new
And I'll have more ideas for you
And you'll have things you'll want to talk about
I will, too

The definition of adage (incidentally, my sentence is not an adage nor an axiom):

Definition of adage


a saying often in metaphorical form that typically embodies a common observationShe reminded him of the adage: "A penny saved is a penny earned." 
The actual saying:"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step" (Chinese: 千里之行,始於足下; pinyin: Qiānlǐ zhī xíng, shǐyú zú xià; literally: 'A journey of a thousand Chinese miles (li) starts beneath one's feet") is a common saying that originated from a famous Chinese proverb.

No comments: