Friday, April 25, 2008

Another restless night...

Always a poor sleeper but the last
three nights have about done me in.

Only have one client today in the afternoon,
so just going to rest this morning.

Cooked three-bean chili with ground turkey
and hot Italian sausage...was quite good...

pound of ground turkey
1/2 pound hot Italian sausage (I can never
find bulk, so I just remove it from the casings
and add to the turkey)
oilve oil
1 can red kidney beans
1 can cannellini beans
1 can black beans
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped (can leave
some seeds if you want it hotter)
1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 large yellow onion, chopped
5-6 cloves garlic, chopped or crushed
1 large can crushed tomatoes
1 small can Rotel (Rotel is just a brand name--
it's diced tomatoes and green chilis)
1 can diced fire-roasted tomatoes with garlic
1 beer (I use a dark beer--I think it gives it more flavor)
3/4 to 2 cups of beef stock
1/2-1 cup chicken stock
1-2 tsps cumin
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tsp smoky paprika
dash of cayene
dash or two of worcestershire sauce
fresh cilantro, chopped
4-5 scallions, chopped
Monterey Jack cheese
Sour cream
Crusty bread

Ok, so it was hot here yesterday, but I like soups
and stews any time of the year! Add olive oil
to a large soup pot or Dutch oven (my preference)
over medium to medium-high heat. When evenly
heated, add ground turkey. Start breaking it up
but let it also stick to the pan a bit--makes it all
taste better. Add sausage and continue cooking
until turkey and sausage are cooked through.
Push the mixture back to the sides of the pan
and drop the chopped onion, garlic, and peppers
into the center. Cook until the onions start
to get translucent. Combine mixture and stir
well. Add the beer and cook down to about
1/3 of the bottle. Add tomatoes and beans.
Stir well. Add seasonings. Stir well. Add stock
and stir well. Taste test after 15 minutes or so.
Add more seasoning if necessary. Cook for 30 minutes
to an hour. Serve with crusty bread, chopped scallions,
cilantro, sour cream and grated cheese. Yum. No
complaints at my house.

Tonight is Mahi Mahi night. Going to marinate it
in tamari, ginger, lemon juice, garlic, a little sesame
oil and serve it with sesame asparagus and rice.

Should be good.

************************************

I'm doing a decent job at this being busy thing. To look
at me, you would think all's right in my world.

Some moments of each day, it even feels all right.

Like when I'm mowing, or working in the yard
or cooking, or stopping the mower because
a friend stopped by for an hour just to talk,
or when I'm reading or thinking about my kids
or my grandson. Those are good moments.

Much of the day is as it's been for too long now,
though, but I'm not going to air my dirty laundry
here. I am just going to keep trying to know what it is
to be better. Maybe someday I will.

And the flowers on the table are lovely. And someone
did get home (late) and noticed them. And I think it
was right to bring them in. I'm just weird about
cutting flowers and even trimming my trees. I just
think it hurts them. My magnolia needs to be pruned,
but it's not the right time of year, and even when it's
the right time, I hate to cut it.

Kind of like cutting my hair. I haven't cut it since I lost
my job 18 months ago. It's as long now as it was when
I was 32--when I had my youngest son. Half way
down my back. But I like it and don't think I will cut
it. It's just hot, so I keep it up a lot. No bun. Just ponytail
or in a flip with a barrette.

I was one of those people who thought women past a certain
age shouldn't have long hair. Don't know why I ever thought
that. I think it looks better than it has in a long time, and the more
I work out in the sun, the more those golden streaks
start to show through it. It's dark brown with some reddish
highlights, but the sun and beach and pool summer fun stuff
lightens it. Thank god it doesn't turn it grey! Only a little
grey at my temples, so I'm fairly lucky, I guess.

Have never colored my hair and don't really ever want
to, but if starts to get grey all over, I may!

No comments: