Remembering The Forgotten
Augmentin, that's what she said, but what she prescribed
was Amoxicillin. I had forgotten they were the same
and spent a few hours in the night trying to remember
if they were, everyone else long since asleep.
I didn't turn the light on, didn't come to the computer
to look up broad-spectrum antibiotics, didn't let myself
open the dictionary next to the bed. I lay there awake,
going through the days and nights I once administered
medicines, wondering how I could ever forget a part
of me who worked every day where lives hung
in the balance, where the difference in 1.5 and 1.05
was life or death, my head hurting and my mind furious
with itself for all its failings, for all the times it remembers
the things I'd rather forget. The next forgotten word was Spirea,
only thinking about it hours after ridding the garden beds
of their winter collections. I stood at the window admiring
the work I had done all day, garden beds cleared of weeds
and refuge, but I could not summon, with all of my powers,
the name of that shrub I planted one hot summer, long past
planting time, knowing if I didn't water it daily, I could lose
it. There are so many losses one grows weary of the tally.
But what joy when the mind reveals all its little secrets,
when the red knees hidden beneath dirt-stained pants
is cause for wonder, when the right arm throbs and the ache
of living is finally and utterly something to embrace.
***********************
This guy on one of the gardening channels said
You don't want your yard looking like a big box
of crayons just exploded on it
Huh? Hell yes I do! Give me color everywhere!
If only I could drop a big box of crayons and have all
those lovely colors everywhere I look.
What an idiot.
4 comments:
We get to start all over again...isn't it fun? I spent the weekend raking out the leaves and trimming shrubs.
I haven't decided how I feel about color in my garden. I like to stick mainly to 3 colors: yellow, purple, and red.
I love a garden full of colors and seasons. When the spring blooms are gone, the early summer ones start, and when they start to fade, the late summer/early fall start to bloom and then when those are on their way out, the early fall into winter start, but always I have so much color--red, deep purple, pink, yellow, white, magenta, lilac, ochre, orange, pale blue, crimson--so many colors and I love them all.
Yes, it felt like starting all over again today, getting all of those leaves raked that were left from late fall and winter, and my body is glad it made the effort (though it's telling me I probably overdid it today).
What happened to the post with your horoscope?
I'll bet you were tearing it down right when I was trying to post a comment. I got the oddest error message when I tried posting my comment, one I'd never seen before. Can't remember what it said.
In that comment, I expressed my surprise that you're a Scorpio.
And then I posted this horoscope which I thought was rather apt considering the recent pain you've been suffering and enduring:
"In her book Waiting for God, French mystic and political activist Simone Weil (1909-1943) wrote a passage I'd love for you to keep in mind during the coming weeks: "When an apprentice gets hurt, or complains of being tired, the workmen have this fine expression: 'It is the trade entering his body.' Each time that we have some pain to go through, we can say to ourselves quite truly that it is the order and beauty of the world that are entering our body." I encourage you, Scorpio, to adopt this redemptive attitude about the suffering you have been experiencing."
So your head has been aching because the beauty of the world has been entering your body.
(smile)
Next time I'm in the grips of a migraine, I'm going to tell myself that.
Hey Laurel,
I pulled that post thinking that parts of it were too personal.
So all of this pain (physical and emotonal) is something to embrace as it means that the order and beauty of the world are entering my body? Interesting thought.
I just hope once all that order and beauty have entered that this damn headache will leave me!
Thanks for sharing that. It is infinitely more interesting than the one I shared yesterday.
I actually had a brief window of time yesterday in which my ear and head felt fine...I had forgotten what it was like to not be hurting all the time, but this morning, the pain and nausea are back with a vengeance--ouch and bummer!
And just out of curiosity, what surprises you about me being a Scorpio? I am a Scorpio and a Dog--lovely combination!
Post a Comment