Friday, April 04, 2008

Caught In The Tide

There are snapshots, colors
fading from the noon sun, lining
the radiator shields, the bookshelves,
the dressers and piano top. One
is of a young child in a striped
one-piece bathing suit, her father
lifting her above the waves, her face
happy and anxious at the same time,
the father smiling. And there he is again,
this time holding her arm at the church
as he takes her down the aisle and releases
her into the unknown, his face still happy
but filled with some uncertainty, looking
so handsome and young in his tuxedo,
friends and family in the background
whose faces the camera did not clearly
catch, its focus on the man and the young
woman. And then, there he is again,
sitting under the dogwood tree with his
youngest grandchild, a weary smile
gracing the definitive lines that men
who have lived thirty years at sea
and who have witnessed things the young
woman and the grandchild can't begin
to imagine often wear, and you would think either
the young woman, who has now earned
her own share of lines for entirely
different reasons, or perhaps a grandchild,
would recognize the importance of placing
these scenes in a photo book or a box
or in between the pages of a favorite
book so the fading would end, the erasing
of time halted, but the woman, in particular,
knows there is no stopping this gradual
fading into nonexistence, her memory
nearly as drained as the paper, her resolve
to persevere not what it once was, back
when she was lifted from the waves,
feeling the pull of the tide, worrying
even then that her father may not be strong
enough to save her, nor himself, from a plan
not of their device, but one they must live with.

2 comments:

james said...

another beautiful photo from that big trunk where you keep them safe. you are riding some big wave nowadays, maggie, free of the tide, reaching higher and higher toward that crest your work is carrying you.

i love radiator guard, btw -- i know what they are, but never heard one named until now.

Maggie said...

I have been trying to write a poem every day--something I've never done before because generally the poems just end up sounding forced if I do that, but I've had so many people, memories, events, and lines running through my head this past week that I just feel I have to come here and write them down.

Yep, radiator shield, I think I called it, but I like the word guard, too. I think both words reinforce the protective way the speaker sees her father but also underscore the dangers and worries she has.

If my damn head will quit hurting, I may be able to start the next one I've been thinking about.

It may even be about the f'ing headache from hell (going on 2 weeks now and not better--errr...)