Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Dorianne Laux selections for poetry circle


The Last Days of Pompeii

What if the ashes came down on us,
a black avalanche trapping our bodies
in their twenty-first century beds,
your spine buttressed with pillows,
wearing taped-up wire glasses,
an old book cracked open
against the knobs of your knees.
And me curled next to you, one hand
on your chest like a wind-blown
blossom, in socks and a T-shirt, asleep,
just beginning to dream.

Preserved for time without end
this end-of-day tableau, on view
in a glass room in the future’s
museum, two dragonflies sealed
in amber or ice. Or ruined statues,
arms and heads lopped off,
the painstaking calculations
of geometry and physics, reconstructing,
from whorled stumps, our inner lives:

the possum bent on a wet road in the blue
headlights of my dream, the marriage
of our bodies only moments before
the ash rushed in like the sea, sheathing
each small thing in cinders and shadows,
what we gave each other encased
in dust: the ring on the sink, a brass angel
with hammered wings, their meaning
a secret even from us, your eyes
seared blind for eternity, my hair
splayed against pillows of dirt
like a handful of dark straw.



Death Comes To Me Again, A Girl

Death comes to me again, a girl
in a cotton slip, barefoot, giggling.
It's not so terrible she tells me,
not like you think, all darkness
and silence. There are windchimes
and the smell of lemons, some days
it rains, but more often the air is dry
and sweet. I sit beneath the staircase
built from hair and bone and listen
to the voices of the living. I like it,
she says, shaking the dust from her hair,
especially when they fight, and when they sing.


Graveyard at Hurd's Gulch

His grave is strewn with litter again,
crumpled napkins, a plastic spoon, white
styrofoam cup tipped on its side, bright
half-moon of lipstick on the rim.
I want to scold her for the mess she's left,
the flattened grass and squashed grapes,
but I've seen her walking toward the trees,
her hollow body receding, her shadow
following behind. I'm the intruder,
come not to mourn a specific body
but to rest under a tree, my finger tracing
the rows of glowing marble,
the cloud-covered hips of the hills.
I always take the same spot,
next to the sunken stone that says MOTHER,
the carved dates with the little dash between them,
a brief, deep cut, like a metaphor for life.
Does she whisper, I wonder, to the one
she loves, or simply eat and sleep, content
for an hour above the bed of his bones?
I think she brings him oranges and secrets,
her day's torn and intricate lace.
I have no one on this hill to dine with.
I'm blessed. Everyone I love is still alive.
I know there is no God, no afterlife,
but there is this peace, the granite angel
with the moss-covered wings whose face
I have grown to love, her sad smile
like that sadness we feel after sex,
those few delirious hours when we needed nothing
but breath and flesh, after we've flown back
into ourselves, our imperfect heavy bodies,
just before that terrible hunger returns.


Smoke

Who would want to give it up, the coal a cat's eye
in the dark room, no one there but you and your smoke,
the window cracked to street sounds, the distant cries
of living things. Alone, you are almost safe, smoke
slipping out between the sill and the glass, sucked
into the night you don't dare enter, its eyes drunk
and swimming with stars. Somewhere a dumpster
is ratcheted open by the claws of a black machine.
All down the block something inside you opens
and shuts. Sinister screech, pneumatic wheeze,
trash slams into the chute: leftovers, empties.
You don't flip on the TV or the radio, what might
muffle the sound of car engines backfiring,
and in the silence between, streetlights twitching
from green to red, scoff of footsteps, the rasp
of breath, your own, growing lighter and lighter
as you inhale. There's no music for this scarf
of smoke wrapped around your shoulders, its fingers
crawling the pale stem of your neck, no song
light enough, liquid enough, that climbs high enough,
then thins and disappears. Death's shovel scrapes
the sidewalk, critches across the man-made cracks,
slides on grease into rain-filled gutters, digs
its beveled nose among the ravaged leaves.
You can hear him weaving his way down the street,
sloshed on the last breath he swirled past his teeth
before swallowing: breath of the cat kicked
to the curb, a woman's sharp gasp, lung-filled wail
of the shaken child. You can't put it out, can't stamp out
the light and let the night enter you, let it burrow through
your smallest passages. So you listen and listen
and smoke and give thanks, suck deep with the grace
of the living, blowing halos and nooses and zeros
and rings, the blue chains linking around your head.
Then you pull it in again, the vein-colored smoke
and blow it up toward a ceiling you can't see
where it lingers like a sweetness you can never hold,
like the ghost the night will become.

11 comments:

LKD said...

"Death Comes to Me Again, a Girl" is one of my favorite poems by anyone.

I'm so glad you're including it in your poetry circle.

Oh, and hey, thanks for always listening to me, even when I ramble on and on.

Ever since I admitted here on your blog that I'm lonely, I feel as though this huge weight has been lifted from me. Sure, it's still looming right over my head (smile), but it's no longer weighing me down. I don't know why I was so dread to admit to it. But then, I was loathe to admit that I'd slipped into a little bit of a depression during the winter months too. (which might have been a result of the loneliness--or vice versa)

So, thank you, Maggie, for letting me spill my guts here. I should probably do it on my own blog...but doing it here feels safer, almost like it's only between you and me.

It's weird how just admitting to it, to feeling lonely and/or depressed almost makes it bearable somehow. I tend to keep everything in, keep everything to myself. I keep forgetting that sooner or later, it's all got to find a way out.

Maggie said...

I find it hard to let it out, too, Laurel, but it has to come out. You are safe here with me, and I feel I can do the same with you.

I hope the reading goes well. Not much interest last month (Billy Collins). I choose poets I read hoping that the group will also get something from the work.

By the way, the poem that you and jim (and some others) felt was publishable, Absconded, I decided to post it at the Gazebo to get some additional feedback. I so admire your work and jim's and Talia's and jz's and I trust your instincts (and jim's) regarding my work, but I am so apprehensive to have it out anywhere that I just post it to my blog, but I thought I would just see what kind of feedback I got there.

It has been such a liberating thing to just write here, knowing I only have a very few people who come to visit, but the very few who do (you, jim, Talia, sometimes jz) offer such encouragement for my work, and I thank you so much.

LKD said...

Wow. They really heaped on the praise over at Gazebo. I posted one there recently because I saw a lot of familiar faces hanging out there (JZ, CE, Bill Trudo, Steve M, and others) and man oh man, my poem sucked and they said so.

I guess I should be workshopping my stuff. I'm so out of practice. Still, yours went over really well. That has to feel good.

After my class ended last week, I feel deflated. I had so hoped that fiction writing might be the kick in the ass I'd need to propel me towards applying to an MFA program and instead the opposite occurred. I did enjoy the class and enjoyed witnessing the huge amount of growth most of the other writers in class accomplished, but I feel my writing's stuck, stagnant. I'd only start submitting my stuff or apply to a program if I felt I'd broken through somehow or was writing something really remarkable.

Apparently, that ain't gonna happen.

Which is okay. I've never been driven to submit my stuff. Never felt especially drawn to the whole MFA thing. I kinda wish I did though. Feel driven.

It made me smile and smile just now to read all that praise heaped upon your praise-worthy poem. Now, be a good poet and submit it to a worthy journal, hear?

Maggie said...

Laurel,

If it had not been for your vote of confidence, and jim's, and then later jz and a few other folks, I would have just left the poem in blogland or in my journal.

I love the way you write--the honesty, the pain, the structure, the ability to choose that oh so right word. Most of the time I am just shooting in the dark. I would like to do more with my work and like for it to say more, but the majority of it just doesn't get there.

I so appreciate your help (and jim's and anyone else who visits).

I know that stagnant feeling...been in it too long. I just let myself go here on my blog knowing it's for me and the very few who have expressed some interest in me and my work...that helps.

And a big thank you for what you said when I posted it and for the inspiration to keep trying.

Off to poetry circle now...let's hope they like Laux!

james said...

dorianne laux is one of my favorites as well; i've followed her stuff from the beginning, and she's one that never seemed to grow at all, unless expansion itself is growth -- year by year she just seems to reach more and more for herself. she's so damn fine, and laurel, the death poem is one i love and cherish as well. god, when they fight, when they sing.

congrats on the gazebo response, maggie. i tried to enlist amongst them but they wouldn't accept my email address etc. and wouldn't unlock the door. i replied, oh well, by the time you get all my issues resolved, i'll have both feet in the deep six.

james said...

ps what i started out to say, maggie, is i haven't been back since that exchange, so i missed all the praise ... but believe me, it was well deserved.

i have a feeling your group will swoon over dl.

Maggie said...

Hey jim!

Good to see you, as always.

The group was not too wowed with Laux. I have a feeling they want Frost, Browning, Sandburg, etc.

They thought Laux was dark and fixated on death. I don't see her as dark at all. I thinks she's warm and open and honest and raw, but it's interesting to hear each person's take on the work. Most of the comments on Death Comes to Me Again, a Girl were along the lines of ghosts and the fear of death, which is not what I get when I read it, but that's what I had hoped the poetry circle would do--open up a discussion and get people sharing their varying opinions. I write down many of their comments because some of them are quite interesting and fresh.

Back to my poem. You know how I struggle with having any confidence in my ability, but you have given so freely of your time and your thoughts about my work, and I know you aren't just spitting in the wind when you say things.

I trust and value your opinion, and I so admire your work. I thought I would just post it there to see what kind of reception it would receive, and for the most part, the comments were positive.

There are those folks who question my random line breaks and who say the poem is not a poem but prose, and they are entitled to that opinion. I'm just winging it here, so I am not going to argue the prose/poem thing nor try to make my lines break to suit the naysayers as I don't see where it makes the poem any better, but I could be wrong.

So, as I told Laurel, I really thank you both for taking the time you do to let me know what you think about my musings. Maybe one of these days I'll actually get something published, and I can dedicate it to jim and Laurel!

james said...

someone once asked philip levine why he broke his lines the way he did. levine answered that he just did them the way that felt right to him. me too. and i hope so for you too, maggie. that's the best thing about poetry, really: aint nobody out there knows better than you.

LKD said...

Gee, I'm disappointed that they didn't love Laux. She's so accessible. And warm. The reason I love "Death Comes to me Again, a Girl," is because she manages to make death light instead of dark. I read it last night and thought, yes, maybe death is like a lovely summer day.

It comforts me to read that poem, to think of the dead listening to us, the voices of the living. It makes me ache a little to think that they're right here in the walls and floors and ceilings, ears pressed to the wood, eavesdropping, or just plain trying to hear us.

I think that's what was so odd about being in the room with my father as he was dying. I knew that he was in a coma and could probably still hear us, yet I couldn't bring myself to say anything deep or important to him. I remember telling him about the tires he'd helped me select, at a very good price, how nice the guys had been down at the garage. Stupid stuff like that. It wasn't until the last day when I'm fairly certain he wasn't really in his body anymore, or was very close to leaving it(because of the stroke, the left side of his brain swelled and eventually herniated down into the spinal column, so by the last day, the coma state, if it could even be termed that, was very deep) that I finally whispered some important things to him.

But even then, I felt so self-conscious. Even then, I couldn't tell him what I wanted to tell him because I was sure he was listening.

Thanks for posting the deathgirl poem, Maggie. It has brought me as I've read it last night and again today, an incredible amount of comfort; it almost pushes that regret I too often beat myself over the head with out of reach.

Maggie said...

Laurel,

Oh the way we interpret poetry is so interesting. I read that poem and never think literal death. I read it and think abused child, aching yet hopeful adult, who knows how she died then but who remembers the good things too, happy things, living things--the singing, the arguing (albeit not a necessarily good thing but a real thing--a communication).

Perhaps because we all come into a poem with who we are, we can only read into it what we think it means.

The staircase of hair and bone--well, what is left after the body decays but hair and bone, but what are we made of? Those people with hair and bone who once lived, whose voices we listened to beneath the staircase. Those lasting things about them--we carry them with us.

I read abuse survival into this, but I have no clue what Laux was thinking when she wrote it.

In the midst of all the death is still the smell of lemons and the sounds--even if they be voices raised in anger, they live, and those of us who survive the abuse and can live long enough to remember, we remember the good too.


I know that the last night I saw my father, he felt a great need to tell me things he had never told me before. I know he wanted to keep talking, but he was getting agitated and I felt it might be better for him if he stopped talking and rested. I will never know what else he might of been thinking about telling me. I think about it often. I think about all the things I didn't say more than I can think about all the things I did say and do.

The things we carry...oh, yes. Need to reread that.

So, we come to the poem with different perspectives, but we welcome it with open arms.

Let us sleep well tonight, dear Laurel.

Maggie said...

jim and Laurel,

Decided to go for a round two at the Gazebo--very different response this time around--not wowed over this one! It's the mule one. Interesting to read the thoughts, though.

Laurel,

Fine poem you have posted on your blog right now...leave it there for a little while, ok? The title comes from Lying in a Hammock at William Duffy's Farm--right? As in Wright? That's one of my favorites of his.


jim,

I am so excited--the book is out...can't wait to get it! I so enjoy reading the selections in Judgment Call--I know I'll enjoy this one too. I bookmarked the site and will be ordering soon!