Productive
Been a busy, and yes, productive morning. I took
Molly for a long walk at the cemetery (about two
miles, I am guessing--up and down hills). Got home
and divided the hostas, replanted them in other areas,
dug up and replanted some coral bells, dug up my lavender
because it was just lost behind my knock-out rose bush
that my mom and dad gave me one year (it's about 5 ft
tall and 7 ft wide and loaded with beautiful blooms)
and moved it to another place where it will have room
to grow even larger and thrive. Weeded the herb garden
and replaced all the landscaping bricks.
I mowed, took my stuff to the recycling center (we
don't have a recycling pick-up program, so I keep
the stuff in bins and take it when it gets full), cleaned
the kitchen, did two loads of clothes, and cleaned
bathrooms. I'm tired, but I have much more to do.
Cooking another Rachael Ray dish tonight--it is another
perfectly spiced, aromatic, and delicious dish. Oregon-Style
Pork Chops with Pinot Noir and Cranberries, served
with Oregon Hash with Wild Mushrooms, Greens, Beets,
Hazelnuts, and Blue Cheese. And, of course, the bread.
Some crusty charred whole grain bread with butter
and chives ( the chives fresh from my herb garden).
I cooked tacos one night last week and my youngest
son (the only one at home) said, Mom, I love all
the different things you cook, but your tacos
and spaghetti are still my favorite dishes. Gotta
love that, even though I thought why keep trying
all these other things. But, he wasn't saying he didn't
like those; he was saying I like your stuff better.
Dug up one of Libby's blue shells when I was working
in the herb garden. I think Libby deserves a poem.
Maybe one day I'll get around to writing it.
Oh, and wow, the rhododendron in the front yard
is blooming, and so are the coreopsis and dianthus.
And the pansies in one of the shade gardens are so beautiful--
purple, yellow, and burgundy. And the heirloom Irises
just started blooming--lilac colored (the deep purple Irises
bloomed a few weeks ago and some of them are still in bloom).
And the magenta and white azaleas are also in full
bloom, the pink dying out but still blooming.
These are the natural things that fill me today.
**************************
Laurel,
I read this today about Eight Belles and wondered if you had.
My husband is a race car driver. He makes the choice. I can't
say I am comfortable with his choice, but I have learned to live
with it. He says he's safer in his race car than he is in his personal
vehicle on any street or highway. He does it because he loves
the classic beauty of the sport--knowing what he's done to the engine
to make the car more efficient and what he knows, as a driver,
that gives him an edge. He doesn't win big money--just usually
breaks even, but he enjoys the sport. But he can choose, and I think
that's the big issue. Eight Belles could not--someone chose for her,
and perhaps she did love the competetive nature of the sport,
but who can say. I just found it an interesting assessment
of the sport and thought you might as well.
5 comments:
Yep, I read that article. Watched the video of the moment she broke down. Read another article about how these horses have become so over bred in an attempt to achieve a champion that their bones are fragile and break easily.
She couldn't choose for herself, but gosh, she was certainly up for the task that was chosen for her, wasn't she? What heart! What a helluva run. She literally ran the race of her life. And almost won.
I remember being shocked when the whole thing was happening and being reported right at the end of the race, how it seemed to be....so secondary, so unimportant to the other horse's win---incidentally, I read something about his performance not being all that remarkable, that his time on that track was so so--and in fact, the commentator who was trying to find out what had happened to Eight Belles seemed shocked at how abruptly her death was reported and now quickly the whole story was focused back upon the winner.
I was standing there in front of the tv thinking, jesus, they just euthanized a horse out on the goddamned track after the most famous race in the country, and no one's talking about it. She placed second, for christsakes. It's not like she was dead last and broke down.
I've gotta let go of this.
She's gone. And I think it was the abruptness that caught me off guard, the suddenness of her death.
I never expected my father to die until he was a very old man. There are times that I still can't quite believe that it all happened the way it happened and that he's gone.
I think my sadness is almost gone now.
Thanks for listening, Maggie.
We also don't have recycling pick up. The county I live in is way behind the times on everything and the only reason they even offer places to drop of recyclables is because the state of Indiana requires it of every county. So I too store them up and take them when they get full. But I have a tiny house and no room so I have to make frequent trips, which to me sort of defeats the purpose. Now that it's summer I can throw the stuff in a bin outside. But pick up is so ideal.
Laurel,
I must have been difficult to watch that unfold. I can't believe they didn't have the decency to take her somewhere else...sedate her, move her, euthanize her, but I guess they decided it would be best just to do it where she went down. Had to been troubling to see.
Even though my dad was a very old man, I guess (82), I wasn't expecting him to go then. His mom was 92 when she died and lived a very full life until the last 4 years. I guess I thought Dad would live at least that long. I don't think we can ever be ready to let them go, but certainly if we have watched them suffer from cancer or Altzheimers we may feel that way, but that's not what happened with my dad, and I know it's not what happened with yours.
We share that loss, Laurel, and understand it. I am always here to listen, as I know you are for me.
Talia,
I wish we had a program here, but wishing isn't going to make it happen, so I keep three bins outside under the carport and haul them off when they get full (well, sometimes I end up with some garbage bags full as well because I get behind or just can't make myself go anywhere so it all gets taken when I feel I can go somewhere).
I just want to do something I feel makes a difference, but I have a friend who tells me it costs more to get rid of the recycled goods and actually harms the environment as well, so I'm not sure how helpful I am, but I am now dedicated to doing it and everyone who comes by knows that and knows where to put the recyclables.
I'd like to know more about that thing about recycling. If it keeps the ugly smelly landfills less full it seems worth it to me. I recently read an article about using cloth diapers (which I don't; I'm just not that enthusiastic) and the energy required to constatnly launder them negates the benefits of disposing of them. Hmmm.
Talia,
I'll see if I can find some info for you. I have the pros and cons of cloth diapers and am undecided myself. When my first child was born, I had no option but cloth. They made disposables, but I couldn't afford them. I just know he had so much trouble with diaper rash, and I think it had to do with the cloth and the wetness staying on the skin, even though I changed him frequently.
Post a Comment