Sunday, April 27, 2008

Cardinals





5 comments:

Bill said...

It's been weird that you posted the cardinal pictures, because for almost three weeks, a female cardinal has been trying to get into the office I use. Bumps into the windows and tries to get in...hasn't figured out it can't.

Another odd occurence in my life.

Maggie said...

Perhaps she's a masochist, or perhaps she has a thing for math and science teachers, or maybe she has a mental illness...

I can see the cartoon in my head--she's lying there on the shrink's couch telling her story: "Well, I am told my mother had this disorder and my grandfather, too. What makes a bird want to keep smacking her head into a window? Am I crazy, doctor? Is there any treatment for this?" and so on...

:)

It's more likely, though, that she may be building a nest close to the window...it may startle her when she sees herself thinking she's seeing another female...hard to say...

Birds are interesting to watch.

About a week after my dad died, my mom and I were sitting on her porch when we heard this loud pecking sound...it was a very nondescript bird (which I think was perhaps a grey catbird) pecking on the sunroof of my vehicle.

As I approached, it flew away, but as soon as I was back on the porch, it went right back to work trying to get into my car. It pecked on the sunroof, the windshield, the driver's side window and mirror.

After I left, mom said it then went to Dad's car and frantically tried to get inside--it went beyond the pecking to beating its wings against any glass on the car (actually, on both of my dad's cars).

This continued for a few days, and then the bird was gone.

We think some of Dad's spirit was in the bird.

One of these days I'm gonna take up bird watching and walk around in the woods and forests with all those other bird watchers, binoculars and camera ready.

I'll post something about the cardinal from this book I often turn to when I am wondering why a particular animal has chosen to visit me.

Bill said...

It's the LAS office, so there is a little math but no science, more English, Communications, and Psychology it seems.

Bill said...

By the way, I spotted a male cardinal outside the window this morning, but not the female. I've seen him around too (less than the femaile) but he hasn't tried the window bashing.

Maggie said...

So maybe she's well-rounded and likes all the disciplines...