Monday, April 21, 2008

Stories Molly Could Tell

I'm sure she thinks I've lost
it, my arms and legs twisting
and turning, my hips swiveling,
my head moving up and down
like some bobblehead Jim Morrison
wannabe, dancing my ass off to L.A. Woman,
taking her face in my hands and kissing
her as she sits, confused and interested,
on the couch, her long pink tongue
entering my ear and swiping
my chin. This is a human
she does not know, the one who dances
without shoes, without abandon
in the living room, Emeril muted
in the background, my body a whirling
dervish, thinking nothing of my age
or how bad my knees will hurt later,
just wanting, in that space, late afternoon
light filtering through the lace curtain,
to be that long-legged, honey-haired girl
who never got high but had her share
of Boone's Farm, who spun herself in yards
and dance halls, who wore halter tops and bell
bottoms, who laughed freely on occasion,
who married young and loved her family well,
who will never look that way again, but who feels
all is right as she spins once more around
the floor, kisses her dog, and works her frenzy
into the softness of Riders On The Storm, her body
grateful for this slow part of the story that is her life.

6 comments:

james said...

maggie, it's just wonderful. i mean it, girl, it not only dances -- it sings.

Maggie said...

it felt so good to be dancing around, music very loud, Molly watching in amazement...ahhhhhh...wish I had more afternoons like that--afternoons where I just let go of the inhibitions and let my body move...

thanks, jim

james said...

reminds me of the william carlos williams poem on a similar theme, "Danse Russe": http://www.writing.upenn.edu/~afilreis/88v/wcw-danse-russe.html

Maggie said...

have not thought about that poem in a long time but have always loved it...thanks for reminding me...

here it is:

William Carlos Williams, "Danse Russe"


If I when my wife is sleeping
and the baby and Kathleen
are sleeping
and the sun is a flame-white disc
in silken mists
above shining trees,--
if I in my north room
dance naked, grotesquely
before my mirror
waving my shirt round my head
and singing softly to myself:
"I am lonely, lonely.
I was born to be lonely,
I am best so!"
If I admire my arms, my face,
my shoulders, flanks, buttocks
against the yellow drawn shades,--

Who shall say I am not
the happy genius of my household?

james said...

wish it had a good tune! you could dance with him too haha!

Maggie said...

wonder if he was listening to something when he thought about these lines or if the music was just simply in his head....

I got the music in me (ha and hardy haha--was that a disco song? I think so!)...so I have it in me always, but I sure like to listen to it too...