Wednesday, March 06, 2019

Axolotl

Did not sleep well. I kept dreaming about an axolotl. I can't remember specifically what I was dreaming about in regard to an axolotl--I can only remember I kept saying, "Axolotl axolotl axolotl" and kept seeing its face and knowing there was something wrong. I woke up about 3:30 and did not go back to sleep until I went across the hall, where it was cooler, and fell asleep in Lauren's room around 6. I got up at 8:45. Very stopped up. Afraid to blow my nose for fear it will start bleeding again.  I feel like I haven't gotten any rest at all.  I don't want to walk today.  Just don't have the desire.  I may do it, but I am not feeling like it right now (10:31).

Watched Fire At Sea last night. It is a powerful and gripping documentary about the African migrant crisis situation.  I want to say more about it as I found it profoundly moving and well done, but I don't have the gift of description in me this morning.  I'll share this excerpt from a review:

"There is a type of documentary — one of the most prevalent varieties these days — that earnestly acquaints its audience with a terrible problem and rewards our attention with a gold star of virtue...."

"...
But there are, thank goodness, exceptions. And everything I’ve said so far is a long way of explaining what Gianfranco Rosi’s “Fire at Sea” is not. Mr. Rosi, an intrepid Italian documentarian whose previous work has taken him to the Ganges River, the California desert and inside the Mexican drug trade, is certainly a filmmaker with an active social conscience. “Fire at Sea” is the fruit of an extended sojourn on Lampedusa, an island that, while part of Italy, is closer to Tunisia than to Sicily. Recently, it has become the landing spot for boatloads of refugees and other migrants from Africa, Asia and the Middle East."

No comments: