Tuesday, March 05, 2019

Malaise

ma·laise

Dictionary result for malaise


  1. a general feeling of discomfort, illness, or uneasiness whose exact cause is difficult to identify.
    "a general air of malaise"


I would venture to say the word I was searching for this morning to describe how I felt comes closer to malaise than discontent or discontented. This passage I just read from the Naked and the Dead speaks to me:"Stanley was feeling a diffused rebellion at the things that made him worried and envious, made him always ferret for some advantage.  He did not know what caused it in himself, but without putting it into words he was brooding that there would be many nights through all the rest of his life when he would lie sweating and restive, prey to all the latest torments of his mind." 


I did manage to get my walk in today. I struggled.  I wanted to stop after about 10 minutes, but I kept going.  I walked for 32 minutes--21, rested 2, and then 11. I walked at a much slower pace. As I said this morning, I'm having an off day.  It happens. i just feel tired now, but I've been lying down talking on the phone, then playing Solitaire, and then I moved to my chaise lounge and started reading my book again. I want to watch a movie, but I am still stuck in work mentality mode, so I have a hard time turning on the TV before 5:00. 

No comments: