A Night With Rosemount
It was beer first, didn't matter
what kind. That was long after Strawberry
Fields and high school, long before ad-
diction became a possibility.
I wasn't afraid then, Bud Light
or Coors in my hand, that one day
children, friends, lovers, and others
too numerous to mention would leave
me. I remember them, curled
inward on their sofas, or lying face-down
on the bathroom floor, tiles imprinted
on lovely cheekbones, their mosaics
decorating the still-firm tissues of youth.
But in my dreams, they don't need
me any longer. I have become
what they feared they would become.
Last night, when I was sleeping, one
of the dears found reason to say what bores
old drunks can be, how taxing and tedious
their comings and goings. I woke knowing
my exit from her life was in many ways
quiet as a snow-filled morning, rush hour
madness come to a complete halt. I knew
then there was no turning back. So, tonight,
Rosemount and I had communion, and I
praised a January with the front door
wide open, and I asked forgiveness
for those with no excuse not to come.
6 comments:
a really fine poem, maggie, as open and inviting to the reader as that open door.
My door's open for you any time, james.
Come on over!
I was thinking of all the friends who left me not so many years ago when I had somewhat of a drinking problem. It still amazes me that people who are supposed to be your friends give up on you so easily.
Personally, I think they lost out.
I think about them and their children and all the places we went and all the nights we spent laughing and crying and winning and losing and just sharing our lives together.
And it just gets mighty lonesome at times, and I wonder why I wasn't special enough for them to keep trying.
But, things are always changing. People come and go in our lives for a multitude of reasons.
I think part of me knew I no longer belonged to that large group of friends.
I just hope sometimes they think about me and miss me too.
i never knew about the drinking problem, but back then i might have joined you haha. anyway, i always counted you a friend, and admired your work, and missed you a lot when you disappeared. what matters is here you are, as resilient as ever, strong as ever, and i'm so proud of you.
a wonderful poem,,,,,,,very fluid and clear images................I love your site.............I have linked it with mine: http://thepeguesproject.com/blog.html....
perhaps you can link yours to mine...
thx
r
maggie, i'll try to find the joan link for you again. but the cover is on wikipedia, to accompany their article on the history of the piece.
i'm deleting the blog again. i'll be back, though. just want to give it a rest. feeling ... old and wore out. jim
hi james,
I just found it on wikipedia after I sent you that message. Enjoyed reading about it and will read more.
Don't stay gone long, ok?
Post a Comment