Woke this morning to clouds
again
Didn't get excited until I put on my glasses
and saw the snow flurries. Cloudy and snow
flurries I can do. Would really like accumulation.
We haven't had any this winter.
So, in a happier mood, I decided to search
through the fridge for leftovers to use in this
morning's breakfast (I hate wasting food
and no one here eats leftovers except me
unless I cleverly sneak them into something).
I found:
a baked potato
1/2 red pepper
roasted asparagus
And I had other things, so I
diced the potato
chopped some scallions
sliced fresh garlic into thick pieces
chopped the red pepper
chopped fresh cilantro (fresh is the only way
to ever have cilantro)
I added all that to some olive oil and cooked it until
the potatoes were browning and the garlic was soft
but not overly cooked. It still had that wonderful bite
to it.
then, I
beat up (I'm so mean and testy some days) 5 brown organic eggs
chopped the leftover asparagus into small pieces
chopped more scallions and cilantro
grated some provolone
So, I had scambled eggs with all that yummy stuff in them
Oh yes, fresh ground black pepper and a bit of sea salt too.
I even added a touch of cinnamon to my coffee and some
Frangelico hazelnut liqueur.
All because of a few snowflakes. Which makes me think of
something Leonard Cohen said on a documentary
I watched the other night. He said:
Every time you grab at love, you will lose
a snowflake of your memory.
Alas, the sun has come out and the snow has stopped.
Well, if I can't have the snow, the sun will do just fine.
Been too grey here lately, as it always is here in winter.
*******************************************
Organic eggs, fresh herbs, few processed foods.
I eat healthy, but I am thinking about a comment
I made to a friend of mine who also ate very healthy,
nearly all organic or homegrown food. It would amaze
me when she would lash out at me for drinking a diet
coke. She'd tell me all the awful stuff in a diet coke
and how dangerous it was to drink many of them
and so on. And she'd eat all that healthy food
but she'd:
snort coke occasionally
smoke pot when she could get it
drink whiskey fairly often
drink beer (about a six pack) nightly
trash her lungs with unfiltered camel cigarettes
do some mushrooms if someone had any
Here she was, this tiny little thing, all of
100 pounds soaking wet at 5' 2".
Never gained any weight drinking all that beer.
Stayed relatively healthy despite a few colds
from all the cigs (at least 2 packs a day).
Maybe the healthy eating helps balance out some
things. I just know I didn't like the diet coke
lectures. The skillet calling the pot black
kind of thing, or is that the pot
calling the kettle black or is it the kettle
calling the pot black? I'm not very good at cliches--I have
a knack for turning them all around or leaving
out key words--though I have been accused
(years ago on Melic) of using some cliched words in my poems
now and again, so I must know something about them.
Anyway, I don't know what she's doing these
days. She left me. Like people often do.
I, who loved her so and was there for her
in so many desperate hours. She found
someone else to wear my shoes.
Yes, we are all expendable. I know. I am finding
that out more and more each day.
***************************************
Here's to food!
Osso Buco
I love the sound of the bone against the plate
and the fortress-like look of it
lying before me in a moat of risotto,
the meat soft as the leg of an angel
who has lived a purely airborne existence.
And best of all, the secret marrow,
the invaded privacy of the animal
prized out with a knife and swallowed down
with cold, exhilarating wine.
I am swaying now in the hour after dinner,
a citizen tilted back on his chair,
a creature with a full stomach--
something you don't hear much about in poetry,
that sanctuary of hunger and deprivation.
You know: the driving rain, the boots by the door,
small birds searching for berries in winter.
But tonight, the lion of contentment
has placed a warm, heavy paw on my chest,
and I can only close my eyes and listen
to the drums of woe throbbing in the distance
and the sound of my wife's laughter
on the telephone in the next room,
the woman who cooked the savory osso buco,
who pointed to show the butcher the ones she wanted.
She who talks to her faraway friend
while I linger here at the table
with a hot, companionable cup of tea,
feeling like one of the friendly natives,
a reliable guide, maybe even the chief's favorite son.
Somewhere a man is crawling up a rocky hillside
on bleeding knees and palms, an Irish penitent
carrying the stone of the world in his stomach;
and elsewhere people of all nations stare
at one another across a long, empty table.
But here, the candles give off their warm glow,
the same light that Shakespeare and Izaac Walton wrote by,
the light that lit and shadowed the faces of history.
Only now it plays on the blue plates,
the crumpled napkins, the crossed knife and fork.
In a while, one of us will go up to bed
and the other one will follow.
Then we will slip below the surface of the night
into miles of water, drifting down and down
to the dark, soundless bottom
until the weight of dreams pulls us lower still,
below the shale and layered rock,
beneath the strata of hunger and pleasure,
into the broken bones of the earth itself,
into the marrow of the only place we know.
Billy Collins
2 comments:
I don't enjoy food the way I used to. I used to love food. I used to overeat. I used to hoard chocolate. I used to eat in secret because I was ashamed of how much I was eating and how much I was enjoying it. I used to love chocolate. I used to have an insatiable sweet tooth.
Not so much anymore. I don't know why. I know it's partially that once I made the mental shift of viewing food as fuel for my body rather than comfort for my soul, I stopped eating so damned much. Once I began eating only when I was hungry, I realized I wasn't hungry all that often and that my hunger was sated with a hell of a lot less food than I'd previously been shoveling into my mouth.
But.
On a deeper level, I just don't enjoy food anymore. It doesn't taste as good. I don't get the buzz off a good meal that I used to get. Nothing tastes as good. I read recently that after 40, your taste buds start to go. Too, I already knew that smoking effects one's sense of taste and smell. I finally quit smoking when I realized that I was only smoking because I was bored (sad, don't you think?) and because the cigarettes didn't taste and smell as good to me as they once had.
After this rather lengthy digression, I came here to say that since I don't enjoy food the way I once did (much to everyone's consternation---wanna really freak out friends and family? refuse offered food. Holy damn, do they take it personally when you say thanks but no thanks I'm not hungry...), I do enjoy food vicariously via reading about it and watching the food network and all those great cooking shows on PBS. I don't like food that much anymore but I like to talk about it and read about it. Your post here is sweller than swell. Really well written. Made me want to taste the finished product. Or watch the meal, be in the kitchen with you as you constructed it.
So, well done, M. I really enjoyed the hell out of the food part of this post.
As for the disappearing friend part of the post, after all these years and all the disappeared, I still can't used to people, some really dear friends who just fade way, slip out of my life. I know I've done the same. I've been the disappeared.
It makes me sad.
So, all in one post, you gladdened and saddened me. (grin)
(Meanwhile, Leonard Cohen was intereviewd on NPR recently by Terry Gross on her Fresh Air show and it was a riveting conversation. I love listening to his voice whether he's talking or singing.)
Shutting up now....
(ps: hasn't blogger invited you to switch over to beta yet?)
Hey Laurel,
I relate completely to the food assessment. I have grown quite bored. Perhaps that comes with having more than enough to choose from. I grew up in the "clean your plate because the children in China are starving" generation.
Children, sadly, are still going to bed and waking up hungry. They are still starving. I consider it a luxury to eat even an egg, a slice of bread, a piece of meat. But I am not cognizant of that as I eat each meal.
I think most people who are physically active adapt to a different eating style. Whether it's healthier or not is debateable.
Though I believe there is truth that the tastebuds change as we age, I also believe that we can expose ourselves to different taste sensations, and to a certain extent, our tastebuds become aroused again.
Spices and herbs make a huge difference.
I have grown quite bored with the usual, so I have been experimenting with Thai and Indian foods. I also decided a few years ago to plant an herb garden again for the first time in years. It has been a delight.
I love dark chocolate and always have, but I eat it in moderation, as I always have. I get full much faster than I once did, so I have found myself at dinners politely saying I'm not hungry. I don't mean to offend, but as you say, there are many who just don't take that response very well.
I rarely overeat, but that's really a lie. I eat more after I've been drinking because I don't want to have a hangover.
Unfortunately, I drink often, so that means I eat often.
I, too, smoke because I am drinking. Not so much from boredom. I want to smoke when I drink. I could care less about a cigarette at any other time. But, as I said earlier, I drink so often that it means I smoke more than I should.
I wish I could sink myself into exercise, but it brings on panic episodes. Walking is about the best I can do, and on many days, it's more than my panicky self can take. It's a terrible place to be, really. To know you have legs that work and a heart that works and lungs that are fighting for you, but your mind keeps telling you you can't do it, you can't do it, you can't get better, you have to stay sick, you have to stay here, you have to always always always remember that you can never never never never be well again. Never.
I take the little bits of joy I can hold onto for a day. Whether it be a cat curled at my feet, my youngest talking to me about Che Guevara, my daughter sharing her life, my oldest son sharing his joy about the upcoming birth of his first child, my neighbor sharing a bottle of wine, my dinner labors noticed and appreciated, my bed a welcome refuge, my body able to lie still long enough to enjoy a book or movie, the knowledge that someone out there somewhere appreciates, cares, enjoys, or shares in some aspect of my life.
I've always been easier for me to talk on the phone or send correspondence to someone than to sit face to face. I guess I fear what may be written in the lines of my face or the hue of my irises. Our eyes really do give us away. And though there are times I want someone to know how ready I am to be taken, there are times I just can't handle the repercussions.
My friend I wrote about--I always knew she was the leaving type, but I loved her just the same and though many years passed before she came back to me, she did, and many years may pass before she comes back again. And then again, she may never come back. There were no lies with her. There was always the truth that she was a wandering soul and if she chose you to be a part of her wandering and you were willing to be, then it was just a risk you had to take. At least, with her, I knew that. I can't say that's true about others who have left me.
I miss her, but I try not to spend too much time in the missing.
Get some good Indian recipes and enjoy some good food, ok?
Post a Comment