Sunny Day in Winter
Beneath the bare dogwood,
Helleborus pokes its green head
above the scattered leaves
I neglected to rake this fall,
an autumn that witnessed my own
steady fall into neglect.
Closer to the house, a stone
fairy sits atop the bones
of my beloved Two-Socks
who in her timidity taught
me tolerance. When I removed
her calico body from the street,
neck broken, tiny trickle
of blood from her mouth,
I cradled and kissed the
tender face that would never
greet me another morning
of my life. In the backyard,
beyond the leaves
and statue, stands the Weeping
Cherry, a gift from my friends
to plant in my father’s
memory. It is bare now
but no less lovely in its
nakedness. Oh yes, winter
has come and settled in my bones
and blood. I amaze myself
with the capacity I carry
inside to remember the dead
and yet still harbor the tenacity
to look without fear, to walk
among the ruins and scattered
memories, to wander this world
a hungry and incomplete animal.
4 comments:
maggie, i'm sorry i cut the cummings piece before i had seen your comment; we must have been passing one another when it happened. thanks for your reply. it's just a trifle, but sometimes that's all one has left in the bucket, you know.
i was so glad to have you visit again. thing is, i had felt my black dog piece had offended you and driven you off. if there is any truth to that at all, please understand, i am never quite in complete control of the poems, sometimes more than others, sometimes less. in the case of black dog, i claim very little for it beyond trying to hang on and serve the poem as best i could.
btw, the "theme" in my "rhapsody" comes from e e cummings' "i sing of olaf":
http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/15408
i haven't read your new one yet, wanted to get this to you right away and i don't have your email addy ... hurriedly, but fondly, jim
Hi James,
I don't know if I remember the black dog piece...yikes...should I? Did I comment on it? I commented on one on your blog and then you changed the blog and my comment was gone, but I don't think it had to do with a black dog. It was the one I told you I really liked...the one in which the speaker's body does the laughing--body as semaphore...that was the last one I think I commented on, but I've been reading you. The one about the ice was very lovely.
Sould I read the black dog thing? Do I need to be offended? That's not always a bad thing, you know. If one is offended by the truth, then one needs to evaluate why. If one is offended because another purposely tries to offend, then again, one needs to evaluate why someone would want to offend.
You worry too much, dear james. You've been nothing but kind and helpful and generous with me, my grief, my worries, my insecurities and my work, and I have deep gratitude for you and your work and your help.
sunny day in winter is a glorious piece, beautifully accomplished. after the first death, thomas said, there is no other. and to some degree it's true -- surely the death of a beloved pet echoes forward to the human deaths to follow, and those first pangs of grief never quite go away, but remain with us, to leap up again, amplified and as real as ever, with the death of another.
the quiet acceptance in the poem is what makes it work, i think, the writer's ability to recognize that no matter how much we think we have learned and gathered up in our psyche, we remain ignorant always, "hungry and incomplete."
one wants to put his arms around such a work. gratefully, jim
thanks, jim...there could be no higher praise than to think one would want to put his arms around this one...
it's rough and can stand some pruning at some point, but it just had to be written at that very moment yesterday when I came in from the porch after looking at the fairy and tree and thinking about the people and animals I have loved and lost.
Post a Comment