Monday, September 15, 2008

The Clean Up


...goes on. We were actually spared so much.

Certainly, those on the coast of LA and TX
got slammed. So many lost homes, so many
without power, so many still in shelters.
I have not heard anything about casualties.
I do hope that the majority of people heeded
the warnings and evacuated. I've only been through
one hurricane, and it was nothing like what
happened with Katrina or Ike.

Here, we got high sustained winds. Our schools are back
in session tomorrow, but many surrounding
counties will not be going. Some of them are
not expected to have power back on until
Friday. Many of the utility workers are in
LA or TX, so they are being called back home
to help get the power restored.

********************************************

On a lighter note, at least 4 people I have come
into contact with in the last week have told me I look
like Sarah Palin. I don't like her politics, but her
physical appearance is not so horrific. Even tonight,
after I showed my husband the SNL spoof, he said,
You know what? You kind of look like her. Must be
because my hair is long now, and I keep it swept up,
much like she does. It's too hot to keep it down. And my
glasses look similar. It's just weird to have more than
one person tell me that they think that. Hmmmm....
The SNL piece is so damn funny. Tina Fey nailed Palin
in body, voice, and mannerisms. I hope she'll do some
more Palin stuff.

***********************************************

Just good old spaghetti tonight. In this small town,
it's hard to find San Marzano tomatoes (canned),
but lately, Kroger has had them. They make all
the difference in a sauce. We had salad, a loaf of deli
garlic bread (stuffed with whole cloves of garlic),
and the spaghetti. I am stuffed.

*************************************************

the writing life is all but over now. Not one single thing
I can put down on paper. I have been playing solitaire
since the power went out yesterday (well, not all night,
but into the evening hours last night and much of this
morning).

What was really positive and enlightening and interesting
was the fact that all the neighbors, all over this block, were
out and about and talking to one another. We were all busy
cleaning up the debris, but we were also stopping in the midst
of our labor to talk to one another. A rare thing these days.

************************************

Just an aside. The moon was extraordinary on the 13th into
the 14th, before the winds came. Don't think it was a moonbow--
not sure what to call it. I was way past gone anyway, but I took
a blanket outside, placed it as far away from the safety light
as I could, and stretched out to look at the sky. In the center
of total blackness was the full moon. Measuring from the imperfect
perception of my vision, and knowing fully well that the blackness
had to extend for such a huge amount of space that I have no
guess, I will just say that, to my eyes, it looked like 100 yds or so
of black in a 360 around the moon. And then, outside of that
blackness, there was a ring of light. And then the wind started
to blow, lightly at first, and then, harder. My old boy, Dante, came
to lie down beside me on the blanket. I feared the branches of the tree
would soon come crashing on top of us, so I came inside and crashed,
only to wake at 4:30 or so with the wind howling. What an amazing
sky and night and day. I felt so alive out there on that blanket,
the wind blowing my hair, the moon full, my cat purring next to me,
most people in the neighborhood asleep, the night air filling my lungs,
the fear of possible disaster alerting me that I was still very much alive,
the ability to stand and walk back in the house nothing short of
something damn near amazing in and of itself.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh.

4 comments:

Calder said...

I hope you get the pen to paper soon. I am kind of just coming out of an nonmotivated time, too stressed with everything else happening the past few months I guess... way too much.

I remember very much a few years back at my old home when an ice storm knocked portions of every tree in the neighborhood down. It was a f'ing war zone and we were all out of power for five days that time I think. Anyway, we all helped each other with the clean up and other things, had cookouts on the grill together, damn near almost acted human... almost.

That moon halo sounds amazing. It's a gift to see sights like that. You take care Sarah... err Maggie!

Maggie said...

I hope some day the words will flow again...

It was really such a good thing to share time with the people who live on the block...before air-conditioning and tv, porches were the hang out (notice how few houses have porches now).

It was a beautiful night!

My best,

S

oops, M

:)

By the way, I don't have the bouffant (however in the hell you spell that) do--just the barette (however in the hell you spell that!) holding the hair up with lots of it hanging down from the barette thingee


I was once ms queenie bee of spelling but can't spell worth a s*** now...

well, so what, I guess...I can communicate, ummm, sometimes

I suppose that counts for something!

Jo A. T.B. said...

Hello Maggie,

The moon here was beautiful tonight, and has been the past few days. I walked my chocolate lab delilah, one evening in the moonlight, was breath takingly beautiful.

Funny from your blog picture, you don't resemble Palin. I like her, I respect strong women.

You were lucky to escape the terrible effects of Ivan. Disaster brings the best out in people, I only wish they could be that way all the time!

Isn't it great to be alive, and be a part of this extraordinary earth. To write about it all as if it were our last day here! :)

Maggie said...

Hi Jo,

Been beautiful here in the mornings--in the upper 50s--my kind of weather (and my dog, Molly, likes it, too!)

I don't think I look like Palin--I think it's just the hair and glasses thing...

Up late here--have been asleep but woke up and can't get back to sleep...

a rather typical night for me!