Friday, September 05, 2008

Finally, some rain

Yippee! And maybe more to come today.
I am thrilled. I am glad the sun has decided
to go away for a few days. Though the dark,
grey KY winters generally bring out the worst
of my depression (S.A.D., most likely), I prefer the fall
and the changing of the seasons to a relentless
sun. My sister is just the opposite. She loves the hot
weather and day after day of sunshine (she is in the
Sunshine State for more than one reason!), but I need
to see and feel and live the changes. Of course, FL has
its seasons, but they are nothing like KY seasons.

I guess when I'm older and my skin grows thinner
and thinner until it's so transparent that most of what
lies beneath it can be easily seen with the naked eye,
and I can't get warm no matter what, I may want to forego
watching the seasons change and just find a hot little
spot in southwest FL to live out the remainder of my days.

I'd go today if I could live oceanfront, but that's not likely.
I'd come here to visit. I'd come here in the fall and drive
the parkways and through the state parks to see all the beautiful
changing leaves. Then I would be sure to try to be here
for a snowfall or two. And then I'd have to be here for the lovely
redbuds, dogwoods, Bradford pears, irises and crocuses and tulips
and all those lovely spring blossoming things.


**********************************


The poetry circle I am leading may be coming to an end.
Just not enough interest. This month, we will read and discuss
two Wallace Stevens poems: Anecdote of the Jar and Thirteen
Ways of Looking at a Blackbird.


I certainly welcome any comments on the poems.


*********************************


Feeling particularly lonely today.

2 comments:

Jo A. T.B. said...

We havent' had rain here for over 20 days, expecting tomorrow! I like hot weather myself, but Fall is beautiful. I'm not into the Winters anymore, my way gets like an iceskating rink! You can walk out the door and fall on your butt.

Funny how we would always miss the seasons if we left here.

To tell you the truth these particular poems did nothing for me. Other than some very impressive images, there is no feeling to these poems. Move me, make me feel something! Just my take on them! I have read some of your poems, and they move me!

Maggie said...

Hi Jo,

Thanks for reading these and telling me what you think.

Wallace Stevens has a huge following and was one of the poets a member in my poetry circle wanted to discuss, so I chose him. I've always liked Anecdote of the Jar. Thirteen Ways was another that someone suggested we read. I have read quite a bit from The Collected Work of Wallace Stevens and thought of a few others I was interested in, but chose these. It's a hard call to know what to choose, and not every poem speaks to every person. We'll see what my group thinks.

And thanks for saying my poems move you--I sure wish I could write one soon, but the words just won't come. The thoughts are there, but I can't start to formulate anything. I know we all have times when we just can't write, but it gets frustrating to me. I am thinking of a Kenyon poem about that very thing. Think I shall try to find it.

Hope you're enjoying that good home grown food!