In this together, and alone
I was walking this morning at the track when I saw a car pull up as I rounded my last turn to get in my 2 miles. It was an old friend who has become a new old friend. We walked a few more laps and I told her I needed to go home and take Molly for a run at the cemetery. So, she drove there and waited for us.
We walked out into a field on the outer edges of the cemetery. She gathered wildflowers--purples, blues, oranges, yellows, and whites. I did not know their names. I admired their determination. Her bouquet was more beautiful than anything a florist could put together.
We saw bees and grasshoppers--those little creatures who seem to be such an oddity now.
We saw three differtent types of dragonflies--one whose body was black and cobalt, one whose body was deep green and whose wings were transparent, one whose body was green and black and whose wings bore the shimmers of translucence.
It was humid as hell (whatever that is supposed to mean). But we parted, she with her lovely bouquet in her hand and me with Molly in the back of the Highlander, and I kissed her cheek and thanked her for being there.
No comments:
Post a Comment