Thursday, September 25, 2008

Some Days it's Just Too Much

So, I'm on my way to the Pampered Pet Salon this
morning to drop Molly off for a bath and to have her
nails filed, and I get behind this truck with a rather
large decal on the back window (which is tinted so
darkly you can't see anything inside the vehicle)
that says "I dig my coal miner," which is written
beneath the outline of a woman reclining and a man
crawling on his knees toward her inner thighs, his
miner's cap with the headlamp on. Made me think
of this scene from Austin Powers.

They turn at the light, and as they make the turn,
a truck that says, "Wayne's Auto Body" pulls out
in front of me. Can't miss this truck. It has a set
of Texas longhorns attached to the top of the cab.

By this time, I am wondering, more than usual, where
in the hell am I and how in the hell did I get here!

I come home and make an attempt to finish reading
our newspaper (all 8 pages of it). They list police reports
(as do most papers) and a section called "Fire Runs."

In today's section it said this (which is a found poem of
sorts, I think):

"Dispatched at 12:15 a.m. to a request for assistance
from Regional Medical Center at 900 Hospital Drive.

Crews tried to help remove jewelry from a patient
with a ring stuck on their swollen hand. Attempts
to use an assortment of cutters was unsuccessful."

Ok, so what the hell happened to the person? There has been
no follow-up to this Fire Run report, and enquiring minds
want to know. Did a surgeon have to cut the finger off
and reattach it? Or did the doctors give the person massive
amounts of Lasix (if fluid retention caused the finger to swell so much
that the ring got tight) and hope that enough times to the potty
might make the swelling go down, or is the person still walking
around with this too-tight ring cutting the circulation off in
"their" finger?

Tell us, dear editor!

Yes, folks, I need a life.

*sigh*

**************************************

Getting ready to go window shopping, as in real windows.
We are going to put replacment windows in when we redo
the house. They look like the original windows (6 over 6
they call them at the store--6 panes in the top and 6 in the
bottom). They are lovely old windows, but they've seen
better days.

I think I'm going to keep some of them and perhaps do
some artwork with them. I have some ideas.

Then I'm going to meet a friend for lunch. If all goes
as planned, I'll be at work this time next week, and she
and I will not get to have lunch together again until
we both happen to be off for a day.

If everything goes as planned, I won't be working in town.
I will be driving about 40 miles one way to my work site.

But, I don't have anything in writing at this point--I am just
waiting to receive some more info from the organization.

Time to get my face on and go!

2 comments:

LKD said...

So you DID find a job.

What will you be doing?

You must be excited to be working again.

40 miles one way is a bit of a hike. Will you be working full time?

Maggie said...

I am waiting (rather nervously today--mail is really late--it's usually here by 10 and it's almost 2!) to receive an offer, which I can decline or accept. I have accepted the position, but I still have to formalize my acceptance after receiving the offer.

As soon as I know something, I'll pass along the details!