The New Year
It is winter and the new year.
Nobody knows you.
Away from the stars, from the rain of light,
you lie under the weather of stones.
There is no thread to lead you back.
Your friends doze in the dark
of pleasure and cannot remember.
Nobody knows you. You are the neighbor of nothing.
You do not see the rain falling and the man walking away,
the soiled wind blowing its ashes across the city.
You do not see the sun dragging the moon like an echo.
You do not see the bruised heart go up in flames,
the skulls of the innocent turn into smoke.
You do not see the scars of plenty, the eyes without light.
It is over. It is winter and the new year.
The meek are hauling their skins into heaven.
The hopeless are suffereing the cold with those who have nothing to hide.
It is over and nobody knows you.
There is starlight drifting on the black water.
There are stones in the sea no one has seen.
There is a shore and people are waiting.
And nothing comes back.
Because it is over.
Because there is silence instead of a name.
Because it is winter and the new year.
Mark Strand
3 comments:
mark strand is one of the best...
I met him once many years ago. he was like a movie star. we were at a little bar drinking....it was halloween night and a group wanting to go to The Blue Note, a local club with live music, bands....but there was a cover charge and i was too poor to go in, although Levis offered to pay my way...too proud or too drunk or too something.
I'ts Thursday night and I am too drunk to go to sleep. I've been alone all week and the novelty has worn off and now I'm just plain lonely.
I hope you are doing better....
I like Strand a great deal.
Where's The Blue Note? In St. Louis? Levis is good, too, jim. Didn't you have a course under him?
I actually didn't get too drunk last night--just slightly buzzed, but I was so fatigued I just had to give it up at 10:45 or so.
It's strange how we long for a little time to ourselves, but then when we have it, we just don't seem to do well with it, do we? We're too accustomed to having the kids and their friends around, and I for one am in no hurry for Wes to leave home. He's my baby, and of course he'll want to go to college somewhere far away, and even though I've had 2 leave me and relocate to other cities, it doesn't make it any easier to think about Wes leaving too. But, but, we bring them to leave us, yes?
Our children are not our children/They are the sons and daughters of life's longing for itself. Gibrahn, yes?
Hope your tonight is not so lonely. Put on some Dylan--how 'bout something like, hmmm...
I'll be your baby tonight
and just dance away...
pretend you're not lonely and think about your baby, whoever she is...
The Blue Note that I was referring to was in Columbia, Missouri. I took several classes with Levis when he was teaching at the university of missouri....when he left to head the writing department at the university of utah (along with Strand), he invited me to go there and said he would get me a fellowship. But I didn't go for various reasons --
yes, music is a must for tonight.
Post a Comment