Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Words from my notepad/last 2 weeks

roasted raspberry chipotle sauce
mordant
purple-leaved European Beauty
negated words
whywaitforbooks
Valdosta to Naples (5 hours/49 minutes)
line busy
Rm 366
Blade Runner
sylph
Wednesday instruments
needs CPR
setting poles and digging holes
no shoes in his size
one river three times in West Virginia
busy signal
peripatetic
Cheat Lake
64 to 79 jogs N & E but sometimes dips down south and veers west
help with residents
elegiac
no positive correlate

3 comments:

jz said...

purple leaved European beauty...

love it

Maggie said...

Do you know the shrub? You have one/some? Or do you just like the words? I was thinking of planting a border of them in the garden I am working on in memory of my father. Wish I could draw a diagram of the backyard here, but I can't, so I'll do my best to describe the area. About 30 feet from the back of my house, there's a rock wall. It is in an L shape--it runs N to S and then connects and runs E to W. In the west wall is a headstone. I can't quite make out the entire name, but I can read this much: "Elizabeth...infant daugh..."and then some letters. I haven't looked at it in some time as it is on the south side of the west wall, so I have to jump over the wall and fight the weeds that have overgrown on the other side ( I have been terrribly negligent since I started back to school in 2003). A curved sidewalk starts at the end of my driveway and leads up to the wall, so I placed an arbor (at an angle) that leads from the walk into the area surrounded by the wall. At the end of the west wall is a huge magnolia tree. I want to set the garden apart from the rest of the backyard with some type of border that will grow taller than it will wider. The purple-leaved European barberry (beauty) is a shrub of interest. I also like nandinas, but I've made no decisions yet. At this point, I have planted clematis on either side of the arbor and have ordered some wisteria to plant there as well. On the south side of the arbor (on the inner part of the garden), I planted some garden phlox. In the center of the garden, I planted a weeping cherry that my coworkers gave me when my father died. Around the cherry, on the inner circle, I planted stella d'oro lillies and on the outer ring of the circle, I planted primrose. I placed landscaping brick around the entire thing. I also have some annuals in there for summer color, though the lillies are still blooming and the primrose occasionally opens up. In the southeast corner, just in front of the junction where the walls meet, I placed a bench that my neighbors gave me in memory of Dad. So, I've done a great deal already, but I have big plans for the area. Overall size is roughly 25 x 30. If I had more time, I would spend all my time out there gardening, but I haven't had much time for anything, jim. School started back last week--my last 2 classes to complete my undergrad work--Stats and Criminology. My father-in-law was admitted to the hospital Tuesday afternoon--congestive heart failure, pneumonia, and an infection in his incision site (he had a heart attack on Father's Day and a quadruple bypass 2 weeks later--the incision on the thigh has never healed up), so things are not going well. He's a very sprited man whose faith is strong, but he's 84 and he's tired. I am hoping for the best and trying to prepare myself for the worst. It's so hard to watch him go through this and to watch my mother-in-law so filled with sadness and worry. And, my emotions are still so raw that it's terribly hard to make myself go to the hospital to see him, but go I do. He's in a room that's only 4 doors away from the room my father died in.
*sigh*
Hope you are well, kind friend, dear jim, sweetest jz...

jz said...

I know the plant...and love the sounds of the words

a nice mantra -- purple leaved European beauty.

sounds like you have a wonderful tribute going for your dad.