Monday, September 08, 2008

Awaiting The Fall

A yellow butterfly
sips sedum’s pink-crowned head,
her days soon over.

*

The tangled Black-eyed
Susans cater the party,
sate temporal needs.

*

From beneath, at root
level, the fungus took over.
Coneflowers succumbed.

*

Aphids danced beneath
and atop the marmalade
roses. Yet they live.

*

Smoke drifts from the porch.
The robin, done with it all,
finds another tree.

*

Dead leaves scatter themselves
beneath the dying dogwood.
I won’t rake them.

*

In my dad’s garden,
all the Stella D’oros
lean toward the dry earth.

*

Maximilian
sunflowers decide it’s time
to flaunt their colors.

*

An errant pepper plant,
seeds carried by my winged friends,
continues to thrive.

*

In the compost pile’s
center, basil emerges
from its mother’s seeds.

*

Tomorrow I must
pretend I am someone
who knows about life.

2 comments:

Jo A. T.B. said...

I like your poem Maggie a nice Fall one. A string of Haiku which compliment each other well.

In answer to your question, I follow a lot of online Poets especially fond of Wintersong Jim Hartsell, love him and his work. Here is a recent prose poem of his on The Peaceful Pub forum: http://thepeacefulpub.yuku.com/topic/18580/t/My-Neighbor-s-Rose.html
I met him on the old Lovestories site!

I'm also inspired by Sylvia Plath,
Ella Wheeler Wilcox, Walter Benton. Maya Angelo, Ranier Wilke, and Kim Addonizio.

I especially like Kim Addonizio's poem "What Do Women Want? Link to her poem here if you haven't already read: http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/16213

Maggie said...

Thanks, Jo. These are not Haiku in the true sense of the word, but certainly they are my attempt at writing something similar to Haiku.

When I am struggling to write anything, it helps to turn to nature, and many times I just write little vignettes or snippets of my observations.

I read a few online poets, but I do not know Jim Hartsell. I'll take a look at the link.

Plath and Rilke have always been favorites of mine. I've read some Addonizio but haven't gotten into her too much. She collaborated with D. Laux on the book The Poet's Companion--a book I find helpful, insightful, and useful.

Though I generally cringe when I see "how to write poetry" type books, Poet's Companion is structured much differently and offers simple suggestions that the authors incorporate in the classroom and at writer's workshops.

I enjoy reading their thoughts and have used some of their suggestions.

Thanks for stopping by!