Tuesday, September 09, 2008

I'll just start with a James Wright poem

I looked back at what I had posted on my blog a year ago,
and though there was nothing entered on 9/09, this was listed
on 9/10 or 9/15 (can't remember).



Lying in a Hammock at William Duffy's Farm in Pine Island, Minnesota


Over my head, I see the bronze butterfly,
Asleep on the black trunk,
blowing like a leaf in green shadow.
Down the ravine behind the empty house,
The cowbells follow one another
Into the distances of the afternoon.
To my right,
In a field of sunlight between two pines,
The droppings of last year's horses
Blaze up into golden stones.
I lean back, as the evening darkens and comes on.
A chicken hawk floats over, looking for home.
I have wasted my life.

James Wright



I've always liked Lying in a Hammock, but my favorite has to be the one
about the ponies. What is the name? Oh, yes--this:

A Blessing

*********************************

Yesterday turned out to be pretty much the same old
same old, though I did manage to get to the grocery,
sort the mail, strip the beds, do some clothes, clean
the kitchen, and cook dinner. Decided to do ribs last
night--something we don't have often. I start out
with a rub, and since I was not going to grill these,
I rubbed them down with a mixture of garlic powder,
onion podwer, chili powder, cumin, smoky paprika,
kosher salt, & pepper. Then I wrapped them in foil
and cooked them on 300 for a few hours, opening them
to baste them in the natural juices from time to time.
Just before serving, I turned the broiler on, basted them
with barbecue sauce and let the sauce get a bit caramelized.

Served my baked beans. I use black beans, red kidney beans,
and navy beans. Mix those together and add 1 chopped jalapeno,
pure maple syrup or molasses, brown sugar, a smoky barbecue
sauce, onion powder, garlic powder, kosher salt and pepper.
Add some chopped bacon to the top and bake along with the
ribs.

Also had steamed broccoli with fresh lemon juice squeezed over
it and a tad of kosher salt. I had one baked potato left from
the night before (one of those huge Idaho bakers), so I diced
it and cooked it in some chicken stock until most of the stock
cooked down. Then I grated fresh garlic in there, added kosher
salt and cracked black pepper, some heavy cream, and some
chopped fresh chives. I just smashed the potatoes a little, so
they still had some chunks. It was great.

Then I made my three layer pound cake sinfully yummy dessert.
Just spread each layer with whipped cream cheese and cool whip.
Then spoon some of the berries over each layer. I used blueberries,
raspberries, and blackberries. Put them in a bowl and added a cup
of sugar and 3/4 cup Gran Marnier. Let them sit for at least 30
minutes. It was all very good, and good for my waistline (which
no longer exists anyway, so what the hell!).

*****************************************

Today is overcast. My eyes are itchy and my head hurts. I bet
if I kept a log, I would find out that my head hurts and my eyes
are itchy far too often. I am sure it's allergies, but I don't want
to be on meds nor go to a doctor, so I should jsut shut up about it.

We are selling some property we have owned since 1978. We
should have enough money to paint the house, replace some
of the windows (though I will not do that if I can't get replacement
windows that look exactly like what I have--I love my windows--
most all of them are 7 ft. tall and triple-paned),
replace the gutters, and maybe even get the guest bedroom's
bathroom retiled. That is a job I don't want to take on, but may
have to.

*********************************

I'm disappointed that I chose two Stevens' poems from the
same collection--Harmonium. Generally, I like to select
a few poems from different collections to give the reader an
idea of how the poet's work changes/remains much the same/
takes on a different focus, etc. Oh well. Hopefully we'll have
a good discussion.

*********************************

Time to go walk Molly and get moving.








6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The whole allergies thing seems to have swept the world in an epidemic. I've had several sinus headaches in the last few days. I take Tylenol Sinus for that (or the generic version). When the sinuses drain I sometimes get a sore throat and cough. Clariton D is good for that. And Plantation Mint tea.

I hope you're feeling better.

Calder said...

Tis that time of year, the dang alergies kick it. The older I gave, the more sensative I am (to them).

THANKS for the Beatles fix!! That has put me a great mood and I needed it.

Hope your group goes/went well tonight.

Peace and love!

Jo A. T.B. said...

"They say the allergens are really high this year." I don't have allergies to the air stuff, but do sympathize with others!

You and I would get along great, all that home cooking! I made my favorite dinner, garlic shrimp scampi, with baked potatoe, and sauteed zucchini and green peppers from the garden. Your pound cake sounds lush, and you are so funny with the waist thing, I'm right behind ya!

Maggie said...

I do believe I am having major allergy mess, but I think I will get through it. Plantation Mint tea sounds like a winner to me, Talia!

Only had a small group tonight, Calder, but it was an interesting conversation about Stevens and the work. One point someone made about Anecdote of the Jar is that the jar becomes the focus--not the landscape. Glad you liked the Beatles video--it's one of my favorites.

Jo,

I love!!! shrimp and could probably eat it several times a week. I always think of the Forrest Gump thing when I start talking about all the ways you can cook it.
:)

Yep, the pound cake dessert is so yummy that the vanishing waistline seems quite unimportant! Think I'll go have a piece of it now!

LKD said...

I couldn't survive without Claritin. For the past 7 days or so, the pollen count here has been in the moderate to high range and I've been wheezy sneezy red-eyed and miserable WITH the Claritin. Without it, I probably wouldn't be able to get through the day.

Hopefully the ragweed will subside soon.

Wright sure knows how to end a poem, doesn't he? The pony poem ends with him bursting into blossom, right? The hammock poem has always reached deep inside me every time I've read it. It's one of the few poems along with Rilke's that ends with that line "you must change your life" that really grabs me by the throat and shakes me and shouts: Wake up! Wake up!

Good luck with the allergies, Maggie. Believe me, I feel your pain.

Maggie said...

Laurel,

I confess to having major panic regarding doctors and meds. I suffer through when I probably would greatly benefit from Claritin or perhaps Zyrtec. I had a bad reaction many years ago to a decongestant/antihistamine thing and have not taken anything since.

I do take my Xanax every day for panic disorder...would not be functional without it, but it's the only med with which I have any kind of comfort level.

Feeling somewhat better today--no headache, but still congested and my eyes are watering.

Yes, Wright certainly knows how to end a poem. The Blessing is in this post. It does end with the N bursting into blossom. I've enjoyed reading Wright over the last few weeks. In a reading slump right now, along with all those other slumps I'm in!