Au Gratin Potatoes With Ham
8 medium red potatoes, washed and scrubbed
1-2 cups chicken stock
I don't know how much ham. Just use leftover ham or just ham you bought to do something with, yep. I would say I used about 1/2 pound to a pound of some ham I had in the fridge. I chopped it into about 1-2 inch pieces
1 large yellow onion, cut into slices or diced--depends on what you like
Fresh thyme, washed and chopped--about 1 tablespoon or dried Italian herbs
1 cup organic fat-free milk
1 cup Half & Half
4 tablespoons butter
kosher salt
pepper
olive oil
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
1-2 cups grated Monterey jack cheese
Additional 2 tablespoons of butter
Ok. Let me just say that I don't measure anything. You just have to play with this. But, here is what I did, and these taste better than any au gratin potatoes I've ever eaten.
Preheat oven to 350.
After you wash and scrub your potatoes, slice them very thinly. I cooked mine in chicken stock and water & a little kosher salt at a boil for probably ten minutes just to soften them a bit and infuse some flavor. I then drained them and let them cool a bit in a colander. While they were cooling, I melted 2 tbsp of butter and one tbsp of olive oil and cooked the onions until they were getting soft. I then added the ham and cooked until I felt like they were cooked enough. :) About 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
In a 13 x 9 x 2 or slightly smaller casserole dish, rub a stick of butter all over the dish. Or, you can use that spray thing for buttering dishes, but I didn't have it and don't use it much.
While potatoes are cooling, make a white sauce. I used 4 tbsp of butter and 4 tbsp of flour. Melt the butter at medium heat. Add the flour and whisk until well blended. (I'm struggling here to do this. I take it for granted that everyone knows how to make a white or bechamel sauce and I worry that I am preaching to the choir or something). Slowly add the milk and the Half & Half. I did not have cream but would have used it if I had any in my fridge. I didn't warm the milk or half & half, but usually, it is suggested that you do that to keep it from curdling or something. Keep stirring until it starts to thicken. If it gets too thick, add more milk. Season with kosher salt and pepper. I don't know how much. I just put a few pinches of kosher salt in and use the peppercorn grinder, stir it up, let it cook a few more minutes and taste. If it's not salty or peppered enough, I add more. If you like the taste and consistency, that is great. Turn it down to low or remove it from the burner. That all depends on how quickly you layer the casserole.
So, start layering your dish. Here is how it goes. It's real easy. 1/3 of the potatoes topped with a third of your ham and onion stuff you sauteed in oil and butter, pour about a third of your white sauce over that, and then put a third of your grated cheeses over that. Do another layer the exact same way. Do a final layer the same way. I add a little more grated sharp cheddar to the top. Cover with foil and bake for 45-50 minutes. Uncover and cook another 20 minutes or until the top is starting to brown and is bubbling. I didn't put chopped parsley on top, but that would be great. Chopped cooked bacon would be, too. I just did what I just typed in that I did. Geez. That was exhaustive work typing it all in. Enjoy! I forgot to mention the thyme. Just sprinkle some on each layer. Or omit if thyme is not a favorite.
No comments:
Post a Comment