Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Removing my posts from FB because no one cares

Interesting article and thoughts about cultural differences surrounding eating alone. I never have any time for myself, and I don't like to eat out, but I don't mind eating out alone to get some time for myself. I just try to go when a restaurant is not crowded, and, I take my glasses off. I am self-conscious eating alone, as I am when I choose to go to a movie alone, but, as I said, I have zero alone time, and it is good to get a break. I haven't eaten out alone nor gone to a movie alone in some time, so maybe I will this week. I think everyone needs some time to themselves although I don't think eating at a restaurant nor going to a movie is my idea of alone time.

The above was a post about eating alone. The article below is about cookbooks. I saved the links to my bookmarks.  


I am interested in all of these, but, alas, I confess my love of cooking is dying more every day. When you can't taste food the way you once could, cookbooks and recipes don't matter as much, or when you are only cooking for two, and one of the two could care less about a fancy meal and more about some meat and potatoes or spaghetti (who can have an issue with that?), then cooking becomes less appealing. That being said, I do still care, and even if I only try one new thing out a month or can actually taste something occasionally or the meal works for the two of us occasionally, it is worth the try. I love this excerpt from one of the books on this list:
"Great cookbooks show us how to make beautiful dishes, but we’re inclined to think that the very best share something more. They tell the stories of how those dishes came to be, and the flavors of those stories enrich both the act of reading and the act of eating. Ella Risbridger’s “Midnight Chicken” is exactly that, beginning with a chicken that is simply roasted and devoured late at night. It is this meal that sets the author on a journey of discovery and healing, and what follows is an education on the transformative power of food. Each recipe documents a particular moment, part of the author’s gradual process of falling back in love with cooking and finding joy in what can feel like a dark world."

And this is about a new David Lynch short film called What Did Jack Do?:

Just watched this and am formulating my own thoughts about it before I read some reviews, but I am suggesting that anyone who cares about what's happening in America watch this. I know you do, Dixie Highsmith. Don't know if you like Lynch, but I hope you watch this on Netflix and let me know what you think. It is only 17 minutes long. I don't like tagging, so if I tagged you and you don't want to be, just remove! Lauren BrownElizabeth CatoElizabeth Marie BrownJon Sewell.

No comments: